Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Estonia

Estonia (and the Baltic states in general) have always been a big question mark on my mental map of the world, so I had no idea what to expect. In fact, I was very pleasantly surprised.

The old town of Tallinn is as a fellow traveler described "intensely beautiful." Every step you take you want to take another picture because everything is so incredible. It can be a bit like a touristy, Disney-fied experience though, filled with parties and tourist traps. I was also able to also get outside of the old town to Kadriog park and to the "other side of the tracks" to see the Russian part of town.




The Disney/touristic element 


 Russian market

At Kadriog, now an art museum

After that I took the train to Tartu, a university town to the south. When I arrived it was beautiful - full of parks and statues - so I decided to just enjoy walking around before watching the first Spanish Euro game. The next day, when I went out to take pictures, ended up being rainy for the entire day. A shame, because the city really is pretty.

The first day 

Statue of kissing students in front of Town Hall 


No comments:

Post a Comment