Saturday, June 23, 2012

Lithuania

Lithuania was the final stop on what I found to be the typical tourist trail of the Baltic States. I spent most of my time in the capital, Vilnius. I found that it was quite a bit larger than the other capitals, and the old town was different as well - it was a lot more than just tourist sites, but filled with locals. Granted this wasn't always a good thing, as I was almost hit by a car and was kind of hit (nicked) by a bicycle. There was just less patience for wandering tourists and less English overall, but it was great to see a different side of the city.

My favorite day was my last in the city. I wandered for hours (which is what I did most days, but I didn't get nearly as lost), had two restaurant meals (to use up my last Litas), climbed a tower for a panoramic view of the city, and visited the KGB/Genocide museum (one of the most interesting and sobering places I've been so far).

Castle (which I later climbed). 

Stebuklas tile on the main square, the endpoint of a human chain that went across the Baltics showing unity in wanting their independence. 

Constitution of a "republic" of artists. 

View of the city.


I made one day trip to Trakai castle, which is supposed to be one of the gems of the country. The castle has been very well restored and has a very interesting museum.

 The castle is situated around a bunch of lakes, and for a minute I thought I was back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment